Students ride school buses to and from school, athletic events and field trips. In all cases, the following rules will be observed:
- Buses will be marked with a route number. Know the number, time, and place of pickup.
- The bus cannot wait as it has a schedule to maintain. Missing the bus in the morning is not a valid excuse to be late or absent from school. Excessive tardiness or absenteeism will result in disciplinary action.
- Be careful in approaching bus stops; walk on the left side of the road toward oncoming traffic.
- If it is necessary to cross the road after leaving a bus, always wait for a signal from the driver, then cross in front of the bus.
- All students must remain seated while the bus is moving. No one should extend their head, arms, or hands out of the windows without permission. Loud talking, laughing, or unnecessary confusion diverts the driver's attention and makes the task of providing safe transportation extremely difficult. The driver will assign students to specific seats when necessary.
- All buses are in good condition. Everyone is expected to cooperate in keeping them that way. Students will be expected to pay for any damage done to the bus for which they are deemed responsible.
- Under no circumstances will the emergency door be opened except as directed by the driver in case of emergency.
- If a student wishes to get off the bus at some point other than the regular point of departure or wishes to ride a bus other than that which is assigned a parent/guardian note must be presented to the administration for approval.
- Students must be at the assigned loading area on time. Drivers will wait a reasonable length of time but in fairness to other riders, students who are repeatedly tardy will require other means of transportation.
- Students who ride the bus to a school-sponsored activity located in another school district must also return on the bus.
- Students may not remain in the school building after dismissal unless they are participating in an extra-curricular activity, serving a detention, or under the supervision of a teacher or coach.
- Athletic and activity buses are provided only for those students directly involved in that particular school-sponsored activity.
- Any conduct that is unacceptable at school is unacceptable on the bus including, but not limited to fighting, vulgar language, smoking, immoral conduct, excessive noise, vandalism and harassment of other riders.
Violations of these rules shall be reported to the administration who will respond as follows:
- First Offense: Verbal warning to student. Parents/ guardians may also be called based on administrator's judgment.
- Second Offense: Written warning to parents/ guardians and student.
- Third Offense: Student will be suspended from bus transportation for up to three days and may also be suspended from school for up to five (5) days.
Please note, however, that if the principal or his/her designee considers the student’s behavior sufficiently serious, the infraction may be treated as a multiple offense.
Each school principal or assistant principal reserves the right to deny students the privilege of bus transportation for an extended period of time not to exceed the remainder of one school year.