In today's digital world, technology plays a major role with helping students to develop knowledge, critical thinking and problem solving skills. Students of all age use technology to learn, collaborate and communicate. It's extremely important that we teach our students how to be responsible "digital citizens" - meaning how to appropriately use technology and how to be safe online.
All staff members in the School District of New Berlin have a background in the importance and relevance of digital citizenship in education. In a variety of ways, students learn about:
- The importance of digital citizenship
- Proficient use of technology
- Safety issues involved with various Internet sites and social tools
- District policies on technology use for learning
School District of New Berlin Appropriate Use of Technology Policy
The School District of New Berlin has a policy that addresses legal and philosophical aspects of technology use in the school district. The policy says instructors are responsible for educating, supervising and monitoring appropriate use of online tools in the school setting, including teaching students:
- How to locate and evaluate appropriate electronic sources
- Information literacy skills, including understanding or safety, copyright, ethical practice and data privacy
- Proper safety procedures when using email, social networking websites, texting and other forms of direct electronic communication
Read the entire policy here
If you have any questions about technology or digital citizenship in our school district, please contact your school administrator.