The School District of New Berlin is currently developing a Long-range Facilities Plan. SDNB anticipates a thorough review of needs, plans and financing options to be considered over the course of the fiscal year.
Overview of Planning Process
The following steps have been or will be taken in the facilities planning process:
1. The first phase was to identify the current state of facilities, based on original design and intent. It was undertaken to identify facility needs throughout the district and to avert appropriation of limited resources for perceived needs, rather than through a well thought-out and approved long-term plan. This phase was concluded when the Strategic Facilities Plan, prepared by IFF, was presented to the Board of Education in August 2011.
2. Identification of probable changes in enrollment over the near and long-term based on adopted land use plans as of the date of the analysis. This phase was necessary to assist in planning overall capacity needs. This step was completed by Eppstein Uhen Architects and reported in May, 2011, Land Use Analysis and Enrollment Projection.
3. An in-depth review and analysis of the information presented in the above reports and creation of an Updated Strategic Facilities Plan. The district engaged the services of IFF who concluded the update in September, 2012.
4. Establishing the basis for focusing and narrowing the findings for the purpose of defining the scope for a long-range plan. The Board reviewed the Short and Long-term Facilities Report – Preliminary Discussion Document in October, 2012. The Board approved concept assumptions on November 12, 2012, which are the basis for a determining the projects to be considered within the overall plan. These included:
•The district will continue to operate with its current elementary (grades K-6) and middle/high school (grades 7-12) model, and will continue to have two middle/high schools.
•There is no anticipated change in programming; the district will maintain two comprehensive middle/high schools.
•The administration shall not present a facility plan without presenting a funding plan.
•Renovations will be planned and staggered, when practical and possible, to not activate code changes.
5. Review of identified projects (Potential Project List - posted February 2013) and options to address facility needs. Board, staff and public comment and input will be used to further narrow both the project list and possible approaches to meeting facility needs.
6. (FUTURE - DATE TBD) Following determination of projects and approaches the project list will be finalized and financing options will be developed for further Board consideration.
7. (FUTURE - DATE TBD) Adoption of the final facilities plan, including financing options.