At a recent school board meeting, Policy 4107 “Criminal History Record Check”, was approved. The intent of this policy is to assure the safety of all of our students by conducting a background check on all employees and volunteers who supervise or are responsible for working with our students before, during or after school. For example, this would include parent volunteers working within the classroom setting and chaperoning field trips as well as any volunteer working with our students in a school sponsored co-curricular activity or sport. At one point, you may have heard that we would only do background checks on those parents or volunteers working with students outside of the classroom setting or when alone with a student. It has been recommended that we do background checks on all of our volunteers working in our schools.
We are in the beginning stages of the implementation phase of this policy and are working to get all background checks completed in a timely fashion.
Please note the following information and procedures regarding policy 4107:
- All teachers should provide the school secretary a list of all parents, volunteers and field trip chaperones needing background checks. Examples of volunteers other than our students’ parents might include student’s relatives such as grandparents, your family members and Junior Achievement leaders.
- It is your responsibility to give the secretary the names of new volunteers involved throughout the school year.
- Share with parents through your class newsletters that the New Berlin Public Schools Background Information Form is available on the district website as well as our school website.
- Any Background Check Information Forms coming to you should be sent to the school secretary
- The school secretary will provide a confirmation list of all parents who have had a background check completed with teachers. Parents having several children in our school or another district school need only complete one form. The school secretary will contact all teachers and schools involved upon completion of the background check.
We ask for your cooperation and support during this implementation phase of policy 4107. We know how much you count on and appreciate the support, time and efforts shared with us from all of our volunteers.
We ask that you support this policy as you speak with the parents and volunteers you work with. Please forward any questions or concerns voiced to you by parents or volunteers to your school principal so that any concerns may be addressed.