Student safety is if the utmost importance to the School District of New Berlin. We take extreme precautions and consult with various professionals to determine whether or not we should delay or cancel school due to weather conditions. By no means are the decisions meant to take decision-making authority away from families if they feel individual circumstances may be different for them. As in any circumstance, if you believe travel is unsafe for you and/or your student(s), we defer to you to make the best decision necessary based on the circumstances presented.
The following options may be utilized by the school district when weather conditions require a change in the school schedule:
- Normal school schedule. (Buses will run normal schedule but may be late due to road conditions.
- Two hour delay in a.m. with normal dismissal times. (All pick-up times delayed two hours with normal p.m. dismissal times.)
- School closed. (All activities cancelled for the day and evening.) If Milwaukee Public Schools are closed, there will be no bus service for Chapter 220 students.
- Early release. This option is used to avoid pending inclement weather conditions and will allow students to be dropped off prior to the dark evening hours.
- Cancellation of after-school and evening activities.
School District of New Berlin parents and staff will be notified of school closings/delays/early dismissals as soon as decisions are made via our School Messenger Instant Alert messaging system. This will include notifications to:
- Home phone
- Cell phone (voice & text)
Parents may also choose to turn to the following television stations for information pertaining to changes in school schedules due to inclement weather or other emergencies. These stations will be notified as soon as a decision is made:
- WTMJ (Channel 4)
- WITI (Channel 6)
- WISN (Channel 12)
- WDJT (Channel 58)
It is important for parents/guardians to have alternative plans available for their child/children in the event that bus/school schedules are altered due to weather or other emergency conditions.
The District would like to thank all parents and guardians for their cooperation during these procedures.